Instructors understand and use up-to-date training techniques and a variety of training methods, including lecturettes, group discussions, case studies, problem solving exercises, and visual aids to give all participants the best opportunities for learning.
Participants’ handbooks will note key points, accommodate handouts, and provide space for individual learning. These workbooks will serve as a reference for individuals upon completion of this course.
- Distinguish facilitation from instruction and training.
- Provide facilitators with commonly used process tools to make their meetings easier and more productive.
- Identify the competencies linked to effective small group facilitation.
- Demonstrate through simulations, role-play, critical incidents, and other exercises, each facilitator competency.
- Introductions, Objectives, Agenda
- The purpose of group facilitation
- Assignment for Day 2
- Difference between “content” and “process”
- Difference between “instructor” and “facilitator”
- What group dynamics are really like
o Divergent thinking
o Convergent thinking
o The Groan Zone
- What is a facilitator?
- What is a facilitator’s role?
- Facilitative listening skills
o Listening skills
o Developing Questioning Techniques
o Observing Body Language
o Other Process Skills
- Facilitating Open Discussion
- Structured Activities
- Difficult Situations & Difficult People
- Preventions and Interventions
- Developing Sustainable Agreements
- Surveying the Territory
- Building a Shared Framework of Understanding
- Developing Sustainable Criteria
- Gradients of Agreement
- Practice: Assignment
- Personal Action Plan
OUR TRAINING METHODOLOGY/PROCESS
This course was designed to deal with practical issues and transfer simple yet useful techniques.
- The program is provided through:
o Self assessment tools;
o Case Studies;
o Group work.
- The course encompasses adult education principles and learning styles, that is:
o Knowledge transfer (lecturing);
o Interaction (questioning);
o Participation (discussions);
o Group work (application).