In today’s fast-moving world, many managers and supervisors are expected to deal with some human resource issues. They may be asked to take part in developing job descriptions, sit in on interviews, or take responsibility for discipline. This three-day workshop will introduce those managers to human resource concepts. We will walk you through the hiring process, from performing a skills inventory to conducting the interview; discuss orientation; and cover some issues that arise after the hiring (such as diversity issues, compensation, and discipline).
- The latest trends in the human resource field and the changing role of the human resource professional.
- How to write job specifications and identify core competencies.
- Methods of finding, selecting, and keeping the best people using behavioral description interviewing techniques.
- How to get employees off to a good start.
- How to deal with compensation and benefits.
- How to maintain healthy employee relations.
- How to make performance appraisals a cooperative process.
- Defining Human Resources
o The Basics of HR Management
o Case Study: Expansion Staffing
- Skills Inventory
- Job Analysis
o Understanding Job Analysis
o Performing an Analysis
o Job Analysis Formats
- Job Competencies
- Position Profiles/Job Descriptions
- Do You Really Need to Hire?
o Evaluate All Options
o The Real Cost of Employee Turnover
- Finding Candidates
- Advertising Guidelines
- Screening Resumes
- Preparing for the Interview
o Conducting the Interview
o History of the Interviewing Process
o An Objective Interview
o Basics and Purpose of Behavioral Interviewing
o Asking Questions
o Understanding and Developing BDI Questions
o The Critical Incident Technique
- After the Interview
- Employee Orientation
o Why Have Orientation?
o How Did Your Orientation Rate?
o Problems to Avoid
o Planning the Orientation Program
- Planning Training
o The Training Cycle
o Internal vs. External Training
- Working With External Providers
- Performance Reviews
o The Cost of Absenteeism
o Dealing with Absenteeism
- Privacy Issues
- Compensation and Benefits
o Pink Slips
o Letting Staff Go
o Case Study: How to Fire an Employee?
- Exit Interviews